Have you filed your tax returns and wondered when to expect and where is your refund? Then you are at the right place as today, we are going to delve into it. The IRS has simplified the ways for taxpayers with the Where’s my Refund tool so that taxpayers can check the status of their refund.
Where is My Refund
The IRS has released the “Where’s My Refund” tool that enables taxpayers or refund qualifiers to check on what step their refund is processed. The tool is available on IRS.gov.in and the IRS2Go mobile application.
The taxpayer can check the status of the refund within 24 hrs of filing the return or 4 weeks after you mailed your paper return.
Where’s my Refund tool shows the progress of your refund in three following stages:
- Return Received: The first stage where the IRS will notify you that your return is received.
- Refund Approved: Now, the second stage is when the IRS has approved your application for a refund.
- Refund Sent: The last and final stage will show that the IRS has proceeded with the refund and it is sent to your account.
- IRS Refund Release Dates 2024
- IRS Deposit Schedule 2024
- IRS Refund Status
- IRS Refund Direct Deposit Dates 2024
- IRS Check My Refund
- IRS Tax Refund Calendar 2024
Availability of ‘Where’s My Refund’ tool
The tool Where’s My Refund is available all the time, but according to the IRS, the system is not available every Monday from midnight to midnight 3 AM EST. Times to note when the tool is not available:
|12 AM (midnight) to 7 PM
|2 AM (midnight) to 6 AM
|Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
|3:30 AM to 6 AM.
|3:30 AM to 6 AM. and 9 PM to midnight
How to use the Where’s My Refund tool?
To check the status of your refund, follow the below easy steps:
- Step 1: Go to irs.gov. Or download the mobile application IRS2Go https://www.irs.gov/help/irs2goapp
- Step 2: Navigate to the sections of Refunds on the screen.
- Step 3: Go to Where’s my refund? Tool.
- Step 4: Go to check your refund.
- Step 5: Now, fill in your tax year, your social security number, your taxpayer Identification number, and the exact amount of your calculated refund.
The Where’s My Refund tool is the best and fastest way to check the status of your refund. The information on the tool is updated once in 24 hours, so just check once a day to know how far your refund has proceeded.
When will you get your refund?
If the taxpayers have filled the returns electronically, they can usually expect the returns in 21 days.
If you have a paper return then it can take more than the usual 21 days. That’s why the IRS suggests and requests to file tax returns through e-filing. And if you have claimed the following, it can take longer:
- Earned Income Tax Credit or Child Tax Credit
- If you have requested injured spouse relief
- File a form 1040-NR, i.e. Nonresident Alien Income tax return
- Error or incorrect information in your return
- When you have filed an amended return
Remember, the IRS will email you if they need more information regarding your returns and proceed further with the refund.
If you have claimed the EITC or ACTC refund, your refund will proceed by March 1 if they were filed online, there is no error in your refund, and if you have selected direct deposit to get your refund.
The amended returns can take up to 3 weeks to show up on your system and take 16 weeks to process, so be patient with your amended return. With the amended returns taxpayers can check the status of their refund on Where’s my Amended Return?
The tax returns have started. It’s time to plan your refunds. It will be better if you file the returns electronically through first deposits as it takes less time.
And if you have filed the returns through paper then you must keep in mind that the refund check will be mailed to your address, so if you change your address do notify the IRS. Remember, your refunds are in your hands, so file it carefully and accurately.